Easy Vegan Recipe: Vegan Bibimbap
Servings size: 2 pax
Cuisine Tags: Vegan, veggies, mixed rice
- 40g soybean meat
- 100g maitake mushroom (sliced)
- 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
- ½ tsp granulated garlic
- 1 cup of cooked rice
For pickled cabbage
- 1/2 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup of water
- ½ clove of garlic clove (crushed)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tbsp sugar
For spinach, bean sprouts and carrot
- 1 cup spinach
- 1/2 cup bean sprouts
- 1/2 cup carrot (sliced)
- 3/4 tbsp sesame seed oil
- 1/4 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- 3/8 tsp salt
For soybean meat seasoning
- 1 tsp Chinese soup stock
- 1 1/3 tsp miso
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp sake
- 2 tsp Agave syrup (or other syrup)
- Some long green onion
- 1 tsp ginger (grated)
- 1 tsp Shichimi
For Bibimbap sauce
- 1 tbsp Gochujang or red chilli paste
- 1 tbsp doubanjiang
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp Agave syrup
- 1 tsp garlic (grated)
- 1/2 tsp white sesame seeds
Prepare the pickled cabbage:
- Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl and place in the fridge for a minimum of one hour, or overnight.
Prepare the seasoned spinach, bean sprouts and carrots:
- Blanch the spinach, bean sprouts and carrots separately in boiling water until tender, this should take 1-3 minutes.
- Pour out and squeeze out any excess water. Put carrot, bean sprouts and spinach in separate bowls.
- Season spinach with ¼ tablespoon of sesame seed oil, ¼ tablespoon of toasted sesame seeds, and ⅛ teaspoon of salt.
- Season bean sprouts with ¼ tablespoon of sesame seed oil and ⅛ teaspoon of salt. Set aside.
- Season carrots with ¼ tablespoon of sesame seed oil,, and ⅛ teaspoon of salt. Set aside.
Prepare the soybean meat and maitake mushroom:
- Put the soybean meat in boiling water and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Drain the soy meat in a colander and squeeze them over the sink to remove some of the moisture.
- Add all the soybean meat seasoning in a mixing bowl and mix them well.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of sesame oil in a pan over medium heat and add soybean meat and stir fry it until tender .
- Add soybean meat seasoning ingredients to the pan and stir fry over medium heat until the sauce has been absorbed into the soybean meat. Place the soybean meat in a bowl and set aside.
- In the same pan, add your sliced maitake mushrooms along with 1/2 tablespoon soy sauce and 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic. Sauté over medium heat until the mushrooms are cooked through but still firm (about 4-5 minutes). Place in a bowl and set aside.
Prepare the sauce and assemble Bibimbap:
- Add all the bibimbap sauce ingredients in a small bowl and mix well.
- To each bowl add ½ cup of rice. Divide each of the bibimbap vegetable and soybean meat components among the 2 bowls. Finally, pour a few tablespoons of the bibimbap sauce to the centre of each bowl. Serve right away and enjoy!
Recipe By: Ohsawa Japan Official Ambassador Narumi